IST MSLIS Student Guide
This guide is configured like a Frequently Asked Questions list. There is a series of questions below and they each link to a page with an answer.
The goal of this document is to present words of wisdom from iSchool students, staff, and faculty to help those just starting with the program with some of the processes involved in being a distance students. Much of what you see here is already in various Web sites, forms, booklets, Facebook groups, and other documents, but it’s collected in one place here to help you find your answers more quickly.
Please note - this is a Wiki, so students can change the content that is here. Because of this, you should consider information here to be equivalent to something you hear in an informal discussion. Before making important decisions based upon this information, confirm it with the proper authority.
- First Steps - You've decided to attend Syracuse, now what?
- I just found out I've been admitted! What now?
- What should I do between now and when I arrive in Syracuse?
- How do I set up my SU e-mail account?
- How do I get a Student ID?
- Why do some services on campus ask for a 10 digit student ID while my ID is 9 digits?
- Do I need to decide if I want to be School Media right now? How about a Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS)?
- Can I combine the MSLIS with a Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS)? What does that entail?
- Is there a technology requirement or specific software I'll need? How about Mac vs. PC?
- Moving to Syracuse and Other On-Campus Student Information
- Distance Student Information
- Who is University College and what do they do?
- What do I need to know about paying for classes? Is it different for international students?
- What’s the best way to work with University College?
- What do I need to bring for the residency?
- What can I expect for the week of the residency? Will I have evenings free?
- How do I get library materials if I don’t live nearby?
- Working with Blackboard
- Choosing and Enrolling in Courses
- How do I know what courses to pick? How do I choose between different professors teaching the same course?
- All I can see on the schedule is the course title, how can I find out what classes are like before I enroll?
- Why do I have two advisors? What are their roles?
- Where do I find syllabi for the courses?
- What course options are available outside of the normal Fall and Spring courses?
- What is MySlice? What things do I use that system for?
- When and how do I enroll? What do I do if my classes are full?
- How do I know if I qualify for a class? What role do prerequisites play?
- How do I add and drop classes? How can I catch up if I am enrolling late?
- What are IST 600 classes?
- What is WISE?
- There are many courses listed in the IST catalog. Will all of them be offered online while I am a student here? How do I know what classes will be available in future semesters?
- What do I need to do if I want to take a semester off?
- Dealing with Courses
- What’s the best way to keep up with all of my classes?
- What’s expected from me in an online class?
- What is TurnItIn.com and how is it used in the iSchool?
- How do I deal with group work in an online class? What do I do if a group member isn’t participating?
- Can I use Interlibrary Loan?
- What steps can I take if I am having difficulties with my professor?
- What do my grades mean? What effect do these grades have on graduation? How do these letter grades turn into a score between 0 and 4?
- Joining the SU Community
- What are the iSchool Facebook groups?
- What discussion lists should I join?
- What student organizations are available for us as distance students?
- What other methods do I have of staying in touch with other students outside of class? How do I avoid feeling isolated?
- I’m interested in working with faculty on research projects. How do I get involved with that?
- Can I have any impact on the policies of the school?
- Getting an Internship
iSchool faculty and staff may edit these questions and answers as needed. If something does not seem correct, please e-mail Jill Hurst-Wahl, MSLIS Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org